L4L Nigeria (L4LN) is a non-profit social enterprise with the aim of providing screen-based technology to Nigerian teachers and children as a learning tool in order for them to embrace the 21st century.
L4L Nigeria’s goal is to provide primary school teachers and school-age children in Nigeria with screen-based technologies, software applications, digital content, training and a conducive environment that will empower them to learn, explore, experiment and express themselves in creative and productive ways that will ultimately bring about transformative change in their communities. Our focus is on public primary schools in both rural and urban areas.
The sustainable process includes:
Community Awareness and Participation
Teachers Training and Selection
Renovation of Classrooms
Implementation of the L4L Club House and Running for A 3 Year Period
For the past year L4L has been running a pilot project in Kuramo Primary School, Victoria Island, Lagos, the objective of which was to develop a replicable programme for school aged children across Nigeria. L4L provided technical and soft skills training for the teachers, laptops for the teachers and students, internet access and on-going technical support. Activities are centered on the L4L Club, an after-school activity which is open to all children in primary 4-6. Each child has access to his/her own laptop as do teachers who are there to facilitate the learning process using a ‘learning by doing’ approach.
The club activities take place in the L4L Clubhouse, a classroom dedicated for the exclusive use of L4L which has been completely refurbished to provide a conducive and modern environment in which the children and teachers can immerse themselves in the world of ICT. By the end of the 2011/2012 school year over 150 children will have been exposed to using a laptop, become familiar with the screen-based technology, learnt how to search the internet and send emails.
L4L Club House
- IT enabled after-school recreational facility(refurbished, specially designed, dedicated, purpose built)
- An inclusive package which includes stakeholder engagement, soft skills training, technical training, classroom renovation, supply of technical equipment and on-going monitoring and evaluation.
- Set up takes 6 months
- Expected 3 years sponsors commitment
L4L Summer Club
- 6 weeks certified club, you pay for your child and another public school child. Public school child selected will be means tested.
- Intensive summer club geared towards the IT skills development of primary 4-6 school children, during the summer holidays.
- Includes soft skills training and activities for the children and a free lunch daily.
L4L Training Institute
- A certified six weeks intensive training course.
- Learning and soft skills using computers to that purpose.
- Screen as tool to help teach and learn.
- Cognitive and training skills to help teach and learn.
- Technology enabled learning.
- Geared towards students, teachers and professionals.